Questions about GC, _Jv_MarkObj() and reflection data.

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 17:10:00 GMT 2006

David> Currently in make_class_data (in class.c) the call to
David> get_dispatch_table (which creates the vtable and thus the GC
David> descriptor) is done after all the reflection data is generated.  My
David> plan is to move it before the field and method arrays are built.  Then
David> it should be fairly simple to extract the GC descriptor from the
David> dispatch table tree and use that to decide if field reflection data is
David> needed for reference fields.

David> Does anyone foresee a problem with doing it this way?

Not offhand.

Another approach which is more space efficient is to fall back to
conservative scanning for classes which can't be described using a
bitmap.  Off the top of my head I don't know exactly how you'd
implement this.