[re] Java executables can abort trying to access a null pointer in a leaf function

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Thu Feb 2 18:06:00 GMT 2006

David Daney writes:
 > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > tsuraan writes:
 > >  > > Someone will need the assembly and/or object file for a small test case
 > >  > > to examine the DWARF frame data.
 > >  >
 > >  > I can send a tarball of the entire directory, if desired.  It's 14 KB
 > >  > without the core dump and 1.2MB with it.  I don't know what filesize
 > >  > starts to anger people on this list, so I'll just send the smaller
 > >  > tarball for now.  If the core is desired, I can send that too.
 > >
 > > This looks OK to me: we are generating te null pointer check.
 > >
 > > Until we actually see the faulting instruction in gdb we're not going
 > > to get anywhere.  Just load your program into gdb, run it, and tel us
 > > when it hits the SEGV.
 > >

 > Uh, I don't think there was a fault.  There is an explicit call to
 > _Jv_ThrowNullPointerException, then we abort because the unwinder fails.

That's what I'm trying to prove.

I think there is probably bad debuginfo for
NullPointer.foo(NullPointer).  Looking at the backtrace in gdb will
give us a good idea.

Andrew.