FYI: Article "Building GCJ on Windows" Relocated

Jesper Juul / Soup Games jesper@soupgames.net
Sun Apr 23 10:36:00 GMT 2006

I would like to say thanks a lot for your work, building a
cross-compiler was very easy this way.

But this brings me to a problem, I hope someone can answer:

Are GCJ 4.0x-built executables supposed to work on Windows 98?

GCJ 4.03 built as a cross-compiler as well as Mohan Embar's 4.02
distribution create executables that work great for me on Windows XP.
But all programs built either way crash instantly with a page fault
if run on Windows 98.
I have tested this on two different machines with fresh installs of
Windows 98 and Windows 98 SE.

GCJ 3.x-built programs run with no problems. But with GCJ 4.0x, a
simple "Hello World" crashes, and even still crash even after
removing the System.out.println.

I can't see any references to this problem in the bug database, so I
wonder if there is well-known a simple fix, or if I should launch on
a bigger fact-finding mission...

-Jesper Juul

PS. You a download a gcj 4.03-built "hello world" executable here (26
megs with debug info):
http://soupgames.net/temp/test403.exe