multiple cpu's with a single install

Leonard Norrgard leonard.norrgard@pp.inet.fi
Tue Sep 27 22:52:00 GMT 2005

William Baker wrote:

> I would like to support a new CPU.  It's been a very long time since I
> dug deep into the gcc emitter code.  (Think Amiga.)

Likewise - those were the days. :-)

> Has anyone ever considered the possibility of supporting multiple
> CPU's and architectures with a single install?  I already have a small
> collection of cross compilers, and I really wish I could just say "gcc
> --cpu=arm hello.c", or "gcc --cpu=i686 hello.c".  Pipe dream?

This is what "gcc -b", or <machine>-gcc does. Quoted from the gcc
manual, "3.16 Specifying Target Machine and Compiler Version":

The usual way to run GCC is to run the executable called `gcc', or
run a version other than the one that was installed last.  Sometimes
this is inconvenient, so GCC provides options that will switch to
another cross-compiler or version.

`-b MACHINE'
     The argument MACHINE specifies the target machine for compilation.

     The value to use for MACHINE is the same as was specified as the
     machine type when configuring GCC as a cross-compiler.  For
     example, if a cross-compiler was configured with `configure
     i386v', meaning to compile for an 80386 running System V, then you
     would specify `-b i386v' to run that cross compiler.

> Please forgive the slightly off-topic post.  I hang out on this list
> and really appreciate those I have come to recognize through their posts.
>
> bbaker

-- Leonard