java disassembler/assembler

Daniel Reynaud reynaud.danyel@wanadoo.fr
Sun Oct 23 11:14:00 GMT 2005

> It's useful if a disassembler prints offet (pc) of every instruction.
> It might be optional, but I'd prefer for eth default to be on.
> I suggest:
>   NNN: instruction
> The assembler can treat numbers as labels.  It should print a warning if
> the numeric label doesn't match the pc - bu only once per method.

yes, the disassembler prints the offset of each instruction as a Jasmin
comment. I'll try to have Jasmin handle that smoothly.

> It would be nice to have an option to print methods, classesm
> and signatures in external (Java) syntax, rather than as signatures

ok, I added that to my to-do list. What about the <clinit> method ?

> If you want to create a replacement for jcf-dump should have an
> option to print out the constant pool, and to display constant
> pool indexes when printing instructions etc.  This probably
> shouldn't be the default (it no longer i in jcf-dump), and it's
> not requiried that the assembler be able parse a priinted
> contant pool, but that would be nice.

the disassembler prints the constant pool as Jasmin comments. It also prints
the constant pool indexes as Jasmin comments and also "tries" to fetch their
actual value in the constant pool.

You can have a look at the attached test.j file, it has been produced by the
disassembler with the following command :
dejasmin --warmode --printoffsets --nolabels test.class > test.j

Regards,
Daniel