i2p liberated! [Fwd: GCJ support is on the way]

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Thu Oct 20 14:42:00 GMT 2005

Hi all,

Sometimes we can use some moral support. So let me share the following
with you all. Normally we are a bit hesitant to recommend people to
"just switch" since we cannot guarantee that everything "just works".
But we are getting better and better. The following email was just sent
to the i2p mailinglist. i2p is an anonymous network (both message and
stream based support). See for more information http://i2p.net/

There were some small bugs (Calendar seems difficult to get all the
corner cases right) and two performance issues (the SecureRandom one
looks nasty, but I know Andrew is looking at the memory use of gcj
native compiled applications already). All in all the transition seemed
to have gone smoothly and as jrandom said:

        In any case, this is quite kickass, as it means we'll be able to
        both integrate more cleanly with other languages AND ship
        whereever
        GCJ ships (DFSG friendly!)  Thanks go to the GCJ and GNU
        Classpath
        folks for their hard work!

Go team!

Mark