examples/tutorial on CNI?

Bryce McKinlay mckinlay@redhat.com
Wed Jun 29 00:38:00 GMT 2005

Michael Purdy wrote:

>So, perhaps a valid question for my project (without the intention of starting yet another SWT vs. Swing war) is whether going with SWT instead of Swing would be beneficial when seriously considering using gij.  My thought is that I should be able to compile to native without any dependencies back to Sun's Swing runtime(s).  Although I would have some upfront porting issues to SWT, think it would be well worth it in the long run?

I would certainly recommend SWT. Its a nice toolkit and it works well
with gcj.

Of course, there is a lot of Swing code out there, and for that reason
we are working on adding Swing support to GNU Classpath & GCJ, but it
will be a while before Classpath's Swing implementation is as mature as
SWT is now. For new development I definitely think SWT is the way to go
- whether porting is worthwhile for you probably depends on how much
Swing code you have, how complex it is, and how much you like learning
new GUI toolkits :)

Bryce