gcc 4.0 and JCE

Bryce McKinlay mckinlay@redhat.com
Fri Jun 17 17:53:00 GMT 2005

Stefan Prelle wrote:

>Am Freitag, den 17.06.2005, 12:39 -0400 schrieb Bryce McKinlay:
>

>>GCJ and GNU Classpath don't yet support all of the same security
>>providers as Sun's implementation. I had a brief look through the code
>>and as far as I can see, Mac providers are not supplied at all. You'll
>>have to use additional security providers, such as GNU Crypto, to get
>>
>My mistake. I thought that the code had been merged with GNU Crypto.

At this time it is only a partial merge, unfortunately. Many of the
algorithms are still missing. I would like to see the merge completed so
that GCJ/Classpath's algorithm support is comparable to the J2SE - I'm
not sure whats holding this up.

>>I don't know why it worked for you using gij, however. For me, your
>>example fails with the NoSuchAlgorithmException both with gij and with a
>>native binary.
>>

>Oh, after your comments I started gij with --verbose and found out that
>the Fedora Core 4 installation I tested on has GNU Crypto installed
>in /usr/share/java/gcj-endorsed/gnu-crypto-2.0.1.jar. That explains it.
>I didn't look for that because I expected the gij-behaviour to be the
>normal behaviour and not the other way around.

Interesting. I'm not sure why it would find this bytecode installation
of GNU Crypto when running with gij but not when as a native binary.
Perhaps there is a bug here.

Bryce