Creating small binaries.

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Fri Jun 10 16:42:00 GMT 2005

Linuxhippy writes:

 > first of all I hope gcj hackers wont kill me, I love GCJ but for
 > embedded use its sometimes a bit to bloated :(

It's really just a matter of someone doing the work.  gcj binaries
used to be a lot smaller, but the library grew to the size it is
today.

It wouldn't be a huge research project to figure out what classes are
needed for embedded gcj and create the build machinery that is needed.
There would probably need to be some sort of versioning mechanism
invented to enable people to build subset libraries.

Free software progresses because people have a need for something and
then they make it.  Right now, the effort is going into desktop and
server applications.

Andrew.