GCC 4.0 Status Report [2005-01-21]

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Wed Jan 26 23:36:00 GMT 2005

Anthony Green wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-25 at 19:30 -0800, Mark Mitchell wrote:
>
>>>What would it take to get gcj on the release criteria list?
>>
>>I can't say for certain, as that is a GCC SC decision.
>>
>>My personal opinion is that it would take a GCJ user and development
>>community rivaling the size of the GCC or G++ communities.  I recognize
>>that's a pretty high bar.
>

> I think that the GCC SC, as an agent of the FSF, must also consider the
> political goals of the FSF.

Definitely true.

I wouldn't read too much into this "release-critical" designation.  Not
being on the list does not prevent you from doing anything to GCJ; it
just permits the release to proceed, even when GCJ is not in perfect
shape.  The release-critical designation is to some extent a statement
of priorities, but of course people work on what they want to work on.

Over the past few releases, little or no progress was made on several
GCJ regressions, despite pings from me via bugzilla; in those cases, we
probably would have released anyhow, as I would have concluded after a
while that there wasn't likely to be any progress on those regressions.

So, for practical purposes, the best thing you can do is to very
actively maintain GCJ.

Per your request, I will forward your message to the GCC SC.

Yours,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC