[gui] new branch created

Andrew Pinski pinskia@physics.uc.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:54:00 GMT 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 1:14 AM, Ranjit Mathew wrote:

> graydon hoare wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> I've created a new branch for gui work, taken off the trunk as of
>> today.
>> the branch is called java-gui-20050128-branch, with branchpoint tag
>> java-gui-20050128-branchpoint. at the moment this does *not* include
>> up-to-the-minute contents of java-gui-branch, but it does contain a
>> recent trunk compiler.
>>
>> over the next few days I'll be pulling the residual deltas from
>> java-gui-branch over to java-gui-20050128 branch, as well as trying to
>> grab anything where classpath has drifted ahead. it'll probably be
>> unstable for a week or so. please try to move any gui work over to the
>> new branch.
>
> What is the rationale for creating a new branch?

For CVS it is faster to update from a closer to the mainline branch
than it is from a normal merged branch.  (this will change when we move
over
to a real version control system).

> Moreover, why does it have a specific date in the
> branch name?

The date is specified because it is the date when the branch was
created.
It is molded after the tree-ssa branch.

-- Pinski