GCJ program hanging in __pthread_sigsuspend on exit()

Thomas Aeby aeby@graeff.com
Tue Dec 6 15:45:00 GMT 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 14:43 +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Or the lock itself is corrupt.  Hard to say.

... and hard to debug since it's only happening rarely and I am not
really into thread implementation code. One thing that you usually do
not learn from Java books is that in order to successfully build java
applications, you have to have in-depth knowledge of C, C++, your
operating system and so on, because there is no guarantee that a correct
Java program does execute correctly, due to problems in the underlying
JVM and libraries (no matter which JVM you use - I like GCJ
because at least there is some chance to identify and eliminate such
problems, there).

> NPTL is generally better than linuxthreads, but which is best for you
> depends on your OS.  I don't know about Debian Sarge.

In the meantime I have had a look at it and am doing stress-testing. So
far I haven't seen the process hang with NPTL. Unfortunately, this won't
solve my problem, since the software is supposed to run on a broad range
of distributions, also including versions like RH7.*, SuSE 8.x and so
on. So, linuxthreads is the least common denominator, and telling all
the users that they'll have to upgrade their systems is not an
option :-(

Best regards,