Garbage collector stopping my world for half a second

Andi Vajda vajda@osafoundation.org
Thu Dec 1 19:53:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Andrew Haley wrote:

> With gcj our root set is way, way too big.  Fixing this is at the top
> of my list of things to fix.

Funny you say that. The first thing I have to do when I build gcj is add
#define LARGE_CONFIG to boehm-gc/include/private/gc_priv.h so that I don't get
the dreaded 'too many root sets' error because libgcj's GC insists on
seeing *all* memory roots even ones that have absolutely nothing to do with
the java heap.

I'm embedding a gcj-compiled shared library in a python-based process. There
is no memory outside of what is allocated by that one shared library that
libgcj's GC needs to worry about.

Andi..