Garbage collector stopping my world for half a second

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin@egholm-nielsen.dk
Thu Dec 1 14:32:00 GMT 2005

Hi there,

I'm not quite sure if I should take this question to the boehmgc list or
to post it here.

But here I go:
I've been seeing some unfortunate (In my world) GC timings suddenly
halting my application:

--- 8< 8< 8< ---
Initiating full world-stop collection 8 after 3861860 allocd bytes
--> Marking for collection 8 after 3861860 allocd bytes + 235140 wasted
bytes
Collection 7 finished ---> heapsize = 8736768 bytes
World-stopped marking took 390 msecs

Complete collection took 420 msecs

The problem is that I have external hardware connected that "need" being
"triggered" from my application with more precision than ~400 ms. - more
likely ~100 would be good.

However, I've seen with a smaller test-example that the GC is capable of
having stop-timings on my platform of ~60 ms.

Therefore, I ask: Is there some super GC parameters that can be tuned to
bring this world stopping down to a smaller value?

Best regards,
  Martin Egholm