GCC Status Report (2004-09-13) [--enable-mapped-location]

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Thu Sep 16 19:03:00 GMT 2004

Per Bothner wrote:

> Mark Mitchell wrote:
>
>> I think you should at least try for initial numbers on whatever
>> machine you're using.  Try compiling libstdc++, say, at least.  If
>> your patches aren't a performance win, they're not going to be
>> terribly compelling; if they are a win, as expected, then that will
>> make them much more compelling.
>

> It will take a couple of days, at best, as I'll be travelling.
>
> Any earlier C-only test didn't show a clear difference either way.
>
> The patches are "winning" even if the immediate performance difference
> is a wash because they'll allow us to track column numbers at little
> or no extra cost.

Yes, I agree -- if there is no performance downside, then there is some
upside.  I just want to check that there is indeed no downside, at least.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC