[BC ABI] Branch is frozen

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Oct 13 01:51:00 GMT 2004

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> writes:

Andrew> gcj-abi-2-dev-branch is open for checkins.

Today I rebuilt the world (BC gcj and rhug) and tried Eclipse 3.  It
looks like we're now suffering from the stack trace problem that the
trunk has, namely, Class.forName() doesn't pick the correct class
loader when called from interpreted code.

Note that Eclipse 3 mysteriously stopped working a couple days ago
anyway, and reverting my most recent changes didn't help.  I hate that
sort of thing.  So, if you use this as a test case, don't expect it to
run fully.  The stack trace failure results in a log like so;

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.FrameworkMessageFormat not found in [file:/home/tromey/Eclipse/Real3.0Copy/eclipse/./startup.jar, core:/]
   at java.lang.Class.initializeClass() (/home/tromey/gnu/Binarycompat/install/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
   at _Jv_Linker.resolve_pool_entry(java.lang.Class, int) (/home/tromey/gnu/Binarycompat/install/lib/libgcj.so.6.0.0)
[ ... ]

Anyway, this is a killer problem.  Dare I mention that we need a test
case for this in our test suite?  :-).

Interestingly, loader.exp seems broken, and fixing it didn't show this
bug.  Ah.. loader.exp doesn't test the interpreter, and no test there
tests loading a class from inside a class which itself is loaded by a
non-system class loader.

I'll fix those problems tomorrow.