Organization and symbol lookup for shared libraries

James Damour jdamour@nycap.rr.com
Tue Nov 9 12:55:00 GMT 2004

Bryce McKinlay writes:
 > Perhaps this step (running gcj-dbtool) could be avoided altogether:
if
 > the cache is found to be out-of-date at runtime, because someone
added
 > or changed a shared library without re-running dbtool, then we'll
need
 > to open those modified shared libraries at runtime anyway. Since we
have
 > to open them, the runtime could simply update the cache file
on-the-fly?

The problem with that is permissions.  I'd imagine that /usr/lib/gcj
would only be writeable by root, so I (a shmuck app developer) wouldn't
be able to update the cache file when I run my app.  I'd rather see
"update cache file" be a step in the RPM (or, more accurately, DEB:)
installation process; that implies the "cd /usr/lib/gcj; make" solution
(or something along those lines).
--
James Damour (Suvarov454) <suvarov454@users.sourceforge.net>