Mauve Bytecode Verifier Testsuite

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Fri Mar 26 18:21:00 GMT 2004

Hi,

    How *exactly* does one integrate the Mauve
bytecode verifier testsuite with the standard libjava
testsuite?

I tried placing the "verify" folder's contents under
"libjava/testsuite/libjava.verify" and even the folder
itself, but the regular testsuite run didn't pick it
up.

I then tried to configure and run the tests separately
myself and I *think* I succeeded, but I just want to
make sure. Here's what I did:

1. Downloaded and installed the jasmin assembler.

   export JASMIN=/wherever/is/jasmin/binary

2. Got the current Mauve "verify" module and configured
   it.

   /path/to/verify/configure --with-gij=/wherever/is/current/gij

3. "make -k check" on the configured folder.

I get 65 PASS-es and 7 FAIL-ures:

    FAIL: /home/ranmath/gcc/bin/gij simple.fail.dupinterface
    FAIL: /home/ranmath/gcc/bin/gij subr.fail.jsr10
    FAIL: /home/ranmath/gcc/bin/gij subr.fail.jsr8
    FAIL: /home/ranmath/gcc/bin/gij subr.fail.merge
    FAIL: /home/ranmath/gcc/bin/gij subr.fail.recurse1
    FAIL: /home/ranmath/gcc/bin/gij subr.fail.recurse2
    FAIL: regress

(These are with the current mainline gij on
i686-pc-linux-gnu.)

Are these the expected results?

Some observations:

1. Some of the assembler files have "^M" characters strewn
   all over the place. Uggh!

2. The "...we've chose to precompile all the .j files to .class
   files and then import the result." line in
   "libjava/testsuite/libjava.verify/README.verify" is wrong
   as I can't see any class files and also because "we've chose"
   is incorrect.

3. What's with the "fail"/"pass" folders? Do they indicate
   invalid/valid bytecode testcases respectively?

Thanks in advance for answering!

Great work, BTW, even if it's just a start - I couldn't
find any other publically available bytecode verifier
testsuite.

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/