Error compiling itext file

Bob Bell bbell@hp.com
Tue Mar 23 11:50:00 GMT 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 04:39:49PM -0700, Tom Tromey <tromey@redhat.com> wrote:
> Bob> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/itextpdf/itext-paulo-jdk1.1-129.zip.
>
> This has code in it like this:
>
>    import com.sun.java.util.collections.Comparator;
>
> This will never work with gcj, I'm afraid.  We don't implement
> com.sun.*, nor can we.
>
> Still, I changed all these to `java.util' with perl, then changed the
> resulting "java.util.Comparator" to "java.lang.Comparator" and, sure
> enough, I get the same error as you.

Sorry, I guess since I pointed you to the whole zip file, I should have
mentioned that I ran the following on the extracted output:
find com -name \*.java -exec perl -pi -e 's/com.sun.java.util.collections.Comparable/Comparable/g;s/com.sun.java.util.collections./java.util./g;' {} \;

I didn't think to mention this since I was focusing just on the
PdfCopy.java file.

> This is a gcj bug.  Your code is valid.  Could you file this in the
> gcc.gnu.org bugzilla?

Well, I went rummaging around, and found bug 12182.  This appears to be
the same problem, right?  If so, I won't bother you with a duplicate.

However, this is somewhat of a blocking issue for a project I'm working
on (involving PDF manipulation), so I'm very interesting in a solution.
I'd be willing to use a patch or code from CVS, especially as a gather
you're pretty close to a 3.4.0 milestone and probably are no longer
taking in fixes willy-nilly.  I have no idea what I'm asking for though,
so if this requires some sort of massive rework instead of a reasonably
quick fix, please let me know so that I can set my expectations
correctly.

Thanks so much!  I appreciate your work on gcj.

--
Bob Bell <bbell@hp.com>