[kaffe] Java-Gnome: jni or cni

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Sat Mar 13 09:51:00 GMT 2004

>>>>> "Chris" == Chris Gray <chris.gray@kiffer.be> writes:

Chris> Nonetheless, a good level of WOCRAC (write once carefully, run
Chris> anywhere conditionally) can be achieved in practice; and one
Chris> hopes that with the rise of free Java platforms developers will
Chris> learn to be more careful.  I don't think you can use the
Chris> weakness of the Java standardisation process to justify
Chris> deliberately ignoring parts of the standard and doing something
Chris> else instead.

Oh, I agree.  And if I were writing java-gnome, I would almost
certainly choose JNI.  CNI has some nice advantages, but there are
definite tradeoffs, and personally I would tend to prefer portability
(aka VM choices) over performance; at least in a case like this where
JNI is probably not the bottleneck.