Why did libffi change it's soname?

Paolo Bonzini paolo.bonzini@polimi.it
Mon Jun 14 07:32:00 GMT 2004

> There is no other change mentioned which would rectify a change of the
> soname of the library. Was this done intentionally? When exactly did
> the ABI change?

Never.  Andreas took care of completing, posting and checking in my
patch that converted libffi to Autoconf 2.5x.  My patch was very
preliminary (as in, I only checked that it bootstrapped on
i686-pc-linux-gnu), and he did not check as well the soname.

> Currently libffi is the only library using 'libtool --release' to
> determine the soname of the shared library.

And that's completely wrong.

It probably went undetected because libjava uses a convenience library
to link with libtool.

Paolo