help building custom libgcj

Martin Egholm Nielsen martin@egholm-nielsen.dk
Mon Jul 19 08:32:00 GMT 2004

>> Am I correct to "assume" that libgcj would be a little smaller without
>> the GUI classes compiled in?
> I think it'll be between 0.5-0.75% in size without the graphics. And in
> an embedded system, this is rather much... However, I'll return with a
> more accurate size as soon as I succeed... :-)
Having modified libjava/Makefile.am (and thereby indirectly Makefile.in)
slightly, I now have a libgcj.so half the size compared to before. The
stripped version is slightly less than 6mb., whereas it was 11mb. before.
I've removed (almost) all graphics-related packages (see prior postings
for "almost")...

I've attached the patch for Makefile.am if anybody wants to see the
diffs. Remember to run automake (from
ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/java/automake-gcj-1.4.tar.gz)
in order to update Makefile.in.

Regards,
  Martin