my crude benchmark results

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Wed Jul 14 18:02:00 GMT 2004

Bryce> I think the main problem here, judging by the huge difference
Bryce> shown by --fast-math, is that we implement the Math.* calls
Bryce> inefficiently. In libjava we use the fdlibm library to
Bryce> implement them, which is written in pure C and contains no
Bryce> cpu-specific asm optimizations.

For non-strictfp code (like java.lang.Math), it seems to me that we
could avoid fdlibm and just use the libc functions.  Is that not so?
I wonder if we could remove fdlibm entirely now that StrictMath is
pure java.