gcj crashes if a user-thread gives up its rights

Boehm, Hans hans.boehm@hp.com
Tue Dec 14 21:25:00 GMT 2004

>From my perspective, it makes no sense to support this in the GC,
so long as this is relying on a pthreads implementation bug.
Fixing setuid semantics is apparently on the NPTL to-do list.
See http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/libc/nptl/TODO-kernel?rev=1.6&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=glibc

If we did want to support this, I think the first step would be for
the nptl maintainers to introduce a primitive which is documented
to do what you want (pthread_setuid_np()?).  It's very unclear to
me whether this in fact can be reliably supported.  Looking at the
nptl source, it still seems to rely on signals for a few things.

As a security mechanism, this also seems like a very partial solution
to me, since it's fairly easy for Java code to get other threads to
do things on its behalf (e.g. by defining a finalize() method, or through
some GUI toolkit that).  And for non-Java code, it would be trivial
to just hijack another thread.

There may be other reasons to move towards running the GC in its
own thread, though those arguments apply mostly to the marker itself,
not the thread stopping code.

Hans