gcj crashes if a user-thread gives up its rights

Jost Boekemeier jost2345@yahoo.de
Sat Dec 11 15:35:00 GMT 2004

by calling setuid(#uid_nobody).

The reason seems to be that when the user code is
finished, the thread tries to send a signal to another
system thread, but doesn't have the permission
anymore.  gcj then aborts saying that pthread_kill
failed.

I haven't looked at the code, but why does a java
thread, that I have started (a daemon thread), need to
send signals to other threads?  I could imagine that
the GC thread wants to send me a signal, which would
work, but why the other way 'round?

The java server runs with high permissions, but I want
to restrict the permissions of the request-handling
threads to the permissions that the user has.  The
user should not be able to kill other threads or
remove files from the file system.

Jost