OpenOffice and gcj at runtime

Bryce McKinlay mckinlay@redhat.com
Fri Dec 10 06:02:00 GMT 2004

Andrew Haley wrote:

> > On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 09:35 -0700, Tom Tromey wrote:
>
> > > Some versions of gcj did have a bug when calling an interface method
> > > via JNI.  Is that what you're running into?  Do you get a
> > > NullPointerException or something?
>
>This is also broken with CVS HEAD.
>
>I suggest this patch.  The idea is pretty simple: if we have no method
>index, and no code pointer, look the method up by name.

In what cases do we not have a method index? In general the index for an
interface method should not be -1. see:
_Jv_Linker::layout_interface_methods(). It sounds like a bug if you are
seeing -1 values at runtime.

Presumably, the bug being seen here is gcc.gnu.org/PR15001 ? This is a
serious regression that must be fixed for 4.0, even if the fix results
in a (temporary) performance regression, eg: disabling fast interface
dispatch for reflection. We'll have to come up with something better for
4.1, though.

Regards

Bryce