Avoid function call with JVMPI enabled

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Fri Aug 27 20:09:00 GMT 2004

>>>>> "Hans" == Boehm, Hans <hans.boehm@hp.com> writes:

Hans> It's far easier to use an existing
Hans> tool that requires a libgcj rebuild than it is to reinvent that tool.
[ ... ]
Hans> I suspect that it's true of JVMPI, since someone built it to start with.

I think Anthony may be the only person who ever used our JVMPI code.
I don't know of any tools that can use it.

>> Considering the BC-ABI, it would complicate things to have the
>> compiler pass a size argument to the allocation function, because
>> that size may change at runtime. Another issue is that the
>> circumstances where the compiler can call AllocObjectNoFinalizer
>> are fewer, because a finalizer could be added at runtime.

Hans> Presumably you can still move the size computation out of
Hans> loops if you pass it as a parameter?  Similarly for the finalizer
Hans> lookup?

One option would be to have an atable slot representing `new of class
X'.  We could then point this at AllocObjectNoFinalizer when resolving
the slot.