BC ABI stuff

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 09:11:00 GMT 2004

May I request that a section on the BC-ABI implementation
be added to either the GCJ manual or the GCC Internals
manual? You can perhaps copy-paste much of the material
from your paper in the GCC summit.

Actually, it would be nice to have such a section for
GCJ's implementation as a whole - class and object
representation, interaction with the GC, etc.

Tom Tromey wrote:
> flag to indicate "don't try to read dependent classes, and don't
> bother warning me about it either", but those things are being worked

Sorry, I'm a bit rusty on this stuff, but why exactly? If
I refer to a class directly (i.e. not via, say, Class.forName())
isn't the compiler supposed to check that class?

> My current plan is to introduce a new C++ class along these lines:
>
>     // This is the base class for all execution engines.
>     // Ordinarily each subclass of this is a singleton.  The ones that
>     // are shipped with libgcj are instantiated statically.

You would know where I'm coming from - wouldn't it be nice
to have a Factory method in _Jv_ExecutionEngine that instantiates
Singletons of these concrete sub-classes like:

  static _Jv_ExecutionEngine* getEngine( enum gcjabi abi);

without necessarily making sub-classes Singletons (though that
shouldn't hurt)?

> (The current methods are all ad hoc based on reading through code,
> consider this very preliminary.)

OK. :-)

Thanks,
Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT gmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/