What is executable size anyway?

Erik Poupaert erik.poupaert@skynet.be
Sun Apr 18 14:21:00 GMT 2004

>>> For me #2 is also important. In fact for resident code it's really #2 and #4
>>> that matter: for downloadable code #1 may or not be significant, depending on
>>> whether your device is connected to a broadband network or a LEO satellite.

For me, the true benefits of reducing executable size, are the effects that it has on
the design of the source trees. If it scales from a wristwatch to a clustered
supercomputer, there are usually other positive side effects.

These sources (such as the linux kernel) are more readable, are effectively read by
more people, and do not have the opportunity to engage in monkey business. Really,
demanding that something runs on very small embedded systems, keeps the sources
honest.

[no room for yet another metaAPI framework, abstract concept factories, and other
horror stories you find in source trees such as Mozilla, OpenOffice, and Gnome]