[BC ABI] gcj-abi-2-dev-branch created

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Sat Apr 17 01:23:00 GMT 2004

Vladimir Levin writes:
 > I am not familiar with this thread. Will the new ABI and related work
 > make it harder to use GCJ for embedded development?

No.

 > In particular, on our board, we cannot put the entire libgcj.so on
 > the flash. So far, using gcc-3.2.3 the static executable size is
 > about 2 MB (for hello world)... But a base size larger than that
 > becomes unacceptable...

There's no intention to make the old ABI go away, so there won't be
anything lost.

We need the new ABI for platforms where there are shared libraries and
changing versions.  At the present time whenever we change compiler we
have to recompile very library, even if we only change things a little
bit.

Andrew.