gcj executable size reduction?

David Daney ddaney@avtrex.com
Thu Apr 15 16:30:00 GMT 2004

David Daney wrote:

> Per Bothner wrote:
>

>> Another (complementary) approach is reducing the interdependencies
>> between classes, so a static linker would not link in quite as much
>> junk.    This might be to be a confiuration option, or we could
>> support various "profiles" like J2ME.  Any experience in untangling
>> dependencies?
>>
>> Comments?  Where should I start?
>

> One thing I have been thinking about (but not acting on), is the
> interdependency problem.
>
> For some environments, security is not important, but I think there is
> quite a large overhead with security related classes.  Off the top of
> my head I would do something like this:
>
> Create a new java.lang.SecurityManager implementation where all checks
> just return.  This should prevent all the *Permission classes and
> related cruft from being linked in.

Thinking about it more, this would not work.  We really need a
preprocessor for java...

What would also be required would be to also go through all the
runtime's classes and hack out all AccessController usage.  Although a
quick grep of the sources shows that AccessController is probably not
used nearly as often as it should be in a standards complient
implementation.

David Daney.