libtool linking libgcj

Jeff Sturm jsturm@one-point.com
Mon Sep 29 19:45:00 GMT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Andrew Haley wrote:
> When linking libgcj, the libtool shell script consumes more than two
> minutes of CPU time on my box, a 1200MHz processor.  This is a lot
> more time than the link itself takes.

Then you can imagine what it's like on a machine with a slow /bin/sh.

> I'm coming to the conclusion that this is no longer tolerable.  Many
> people don't have boxes anything like as fast as mine.  We really are
> going to have to find a better way to do things than this.

One idea is to use a linker script to pass the object names.  That was
considered for libtool itself (and abandoned, due to quoting problems
that won't affect libgcj).  But it requires GNU ld.  Besides I'm not sure
you could make it play nice with libtool, which tries to build static and
shared libs in one invocation.

Jeff