My Networking Test

Mohan Embar gnustuff@thisiscool.com
Thu Sep 11 16:35:00 GMT 2003

Hi People,

Attached is a standalone networking test I wrote which
excerises key pieces of the networking classes, tests
things like timeouts and interrupts, and provides output
which could be compared across GCJ as well as Sun's and IBM's
JREs. It doesn't test any java.nio stuff.

It's far-from-perfect, needs more refactoring, is not integrated
into Mauve, etc., etc. but it helped me a great deal and already
points out differences between exceptions thrown, exception text,
different behavior across VMs, etc. I haven't run this with IBM's
JRE yet but would like to.

Feedback about this test is welcome.

I just wanted to push this out the door in case people
wanted to play with this already. My goal was to compare the output
across GCJ Linux, GCJ MinGW and both IBM's and Sun's JREs on
Linux and Win32 and use this as a starting point for dicussing if and
how differences should be reconciled, but if someone else wants
to lead this discussion, I'll gleefully hand it over.

As I pointed out before, compilation of this test chokes with the
Win32 native compiler:

-------------------------------8<--------------------------------
L:\gcc\examples\NetTest>gcj --main=NetTest -s -o NetTest.exe NetTest.java
NetTest.java: In class `NetTest$SocketServerTest':
NetTest.java: In method `NetTest$SocketServerTest.run()':
NetTest.java:723: internal compiler error: tree check: expected class 'e', have
't' (complex_type) in issue_warning_error_from_context, at java/parse.y:3051
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

...but compiles fine with the cross compiler. The fun just doesn't stop.

-- Mohan
http://www.thisiscool.com/
http://www.animalsong.org/