Inexplicable Parameter-Passing Phenomena w/MinGW GCJ

Mohan Embar gnustuff@thisiscool.com
Thu Sep 11 02:08:00 GMT 2003

Hi People,

>> This might or might not be related, but this code yells "Miranda
>> Method!" to me. setOption() is defined in the interface
>> SocketOptions, which is implemented (but not defined) in the
>> abstract class DatagramSocketImpl and finally implemented in the
>> class
>> natPlainDatagramSocketImplXXX.
>>
>> I really simple thing to check would be to explicitly defined
>> setOption() as an abstract method in the class DatagramSocketImpl.
>
>Can Miranda bugs be platform specific ? it works here on Linux.

I can vouch for this working on Linux.

How ironic that this is one of the first things that turned up when I
did a Google search on "gcj miranda method":

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-03/msg00004.html

Sounds like we're hot on the heels of something macabre.

I built a native gcc (was using the cross compiler all this time)
and I got this when I tried to compile my net test:

-------------------------------------------8<-----------------------------------------------
NetTest.java: In class `NetTest$SocketServerTest':
NetTest.java: In method `NetTest$SocketServerTest.run()':
NetTest.java:691: internal compiler error: tree check: expected class 'e', have
't' (complex_type) in issue_warning_error_from_context, at java/parse.y:3051
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://gcc.gnu.org/bugs.html> for instructions.

...time to bang my head against the wall again.

My high school teacher once compared Existentialism to a slippery eel.
He said that the more firmly you tried to grasp it, the more it slipped
out of your fingers. From now on, I'm going to mentally substitute
"gcj" for "existentialism".....

-- Mohan
http://www.thisiscool.com/
http://www.animalsong.org/