c++filt causing flashing console windows

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Tue Sep 9 10:06:00 GMT 2003

Andrew Haley wrote:
>  > If a GUI application spawns a console application, Windows will
>  > launch the application with an attached console (a Command Prompt
>  > window).
>
> But that makes no sense in the context of Runtime.exec(), which
> creates an instance of Process.  The Java spec says:
>
> "The created subprocess does not have its own terminal or console."
>
> How much clearer can it be?

Ummm... it's not *that* clear you know. The line just
before the line you quote (from the JavaDoc for
java.lang.Process in JDK 1.4.1) reads "The Runtime.exec
methods may not work well for special processes on
certain native platforms, such as *native windowing
processes*, daemon processes, Win16/DOS processes
on Microsoft Windows, or shell scripts" (emphasis
mine).

:-P

In any case, we are not using something like a
CREATE_NEW_CONSOLE in the CreateProcess( ) call
in java/lang/natWin32Process.cc.

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/