Newbie questions: javadoc, secure transport, ant & gcj, library build structure

Paul Gear paul@gear.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 2 11:16:00 GMT 2003

Hi folks,

I'm working on a project using gcj 3.3.1 (on Red Hat Linux 9 using gcc
3.3.1 from Rawhide).  Hope these questions aren't too badly asked (in
the ESR "how to ask questions" sense):

1.  The manual and FAQ don't seem to reference any javadoc for the class
libraries.  Does javadoc exist?  If so, could you please point me to the
right place?

2.  What is the recommended approach for providing secure TCP
connections in client/server applications?

The Java 2 JSSE APIs seem good, but it's not clear whether or not they
are supported under gcj (especially given that the documentation says
"We currently do not have a list showing differences between libgcj and
the Java 2 platform.").

The GNU Crypto project seems to offer some good features as well, but
from the documentation i read there it wasn't clear to me whether it
provided something that would work with Sun's JDK.  (I really need my
software to work with both gcj and JDK.)

3.  I have never used ant, but am told it is a much better tool than
make for Java development.  Are there any pointers or working examples
for using it with gcj?  (I currently use some rather ugly custom makefiles.)

4.  These ugly makefiles currently generate shared libraries that are
then referenced explicitly where they are required.  The documentation
indicates that this can be more or less automatic.  Are there any
working examples you can point me to which demonstrate this?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
http://paulgear.webhop.net