can't get a simple package example to compile with gcj

Lars Andersen lars@rimfaxe.com
Wed Oct 22 14:41:00 GMT 2003

Christopher Marshall wrote:

>I am having trouble getting a very simple java program to compile with gcj in which the
>main java file invokes a constructor on a class defined in a package.
>
>I have the CLASSPATH variable set to '.' (the current directory).
>
>Here's the main program, which is in the directory I am invoking gcj from:
>
>// pkgtest.java
>import java.io.*;
>import A.*;
>
>public class pkgtest {
>   public static void main(String args[]){
>      A.B x= new A.B(3);
>      System.out.println(x.x);
>   }
>}
>
>And in a subdirectory A, I put B.java:
>
>// A/B.java
>package A;
>
>public class B{
>   int x;
>   public B(int i){
>      x= i;
>   }
>}
>
>I run gcj like this:
>
>   gcj --main=pkgtest -o pkgtest pkgtest.java

compile pkgtest.java and B.java in one line :

gcj --main=pkgtest -o pkgtest pkgtest.java B.java

... or for larger projects compile single or groups of java files into
object files, and link them together :

gcj -c pkgtest.java -o pkgtest.o
gcj -c B.java -o B.o
gcj --main=pkgtest -o pkgtest  pkgtest.o B.o

/Lars Andersen