GCJ and generics

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:15:00 GMT 2003

Cedric Berger wrote:
>>  Unfortunately, the compiler gets partway through (with lots of
>>warnings) and then gives the following errors like:
>>
>>c:\DOCUME~1\eliasen\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccusaaaa.s: Assembler messages:
>>c:\DOCUME~1\eliasen\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccusaaaa.s:4439: Error: symbol
>>`__ZN5frink5units22BasicObjectEnumeration11nextElementEv' is already defined
>>

> I think generics define multiple functions with the same arguments
> but different return values. Could that be the problem?

That could most likely be the case, especially
considering the error messages.

Is this the way generics would be handled in JDK 1.5?
I mean, GJ was a proposal - has it been accepted
as the way of doing things?

If yes, we have to change the way Java method names
are mangled, which'll affect CNI.

There may not be any effect if we retain the C++
mangling scheme only for methods marked "native"
and use Java mangling for all other methods.

However, what of Java methods called from C++?

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/