Mixing native and bytecode (Swing)?

John Moore gcj@jmsd.co.uk
Mon Oct 6 15:37:00 GMT 2003

At 11:17 06/10/2003 -0400, Jeff Sturm wrote:

>While in theory you could run an unbundled swing with gcj, it's going to
>depend on java.awt support that isn't really mature yet.  And I'm not sure
>that Sun's license would permit use of swing separate from the JRE.
>
>You see, gcj and the JRE are really separate products and don't
>interoperate whatsoever.  So there are probably technical hurdles and
>perhaps licensing also.

This is what I don't really understand, because I thought that GIJ was a
fully-fledged JVM, able to run any existing classes, and that GCJ was able
to compile any Java source to bytecode as well as native code. Thus I don't
understand why there should be a problem for GIJ running Swing, as long as
it's using the Sun classes and not the clean room GCJ implementation, which
you say "isn't really mature yet."

John