configure --disable-shared

Erik Poupaert erik.poupaert@chello.be
Mon May 26 23:24:00 GMT 2003

> Hmm, libgcc_s is quite stable.  Are you installing on Linux hosts with an
> older libgcc_s in /lib?  Or none at all?  (In that case, I like Mohan's
> suggestion of distributing libgcc_s.so with your application.)

At this point in time, we are only deploying to RedHat 8/9 and Gentoo. For any other platform, I guess people are up to building from source by themselves. I really can't figure out if it works and why not on every possible linux distribution. By the way, the application is licensed under the GPL and we'd love to publish it -- it has a distributed swt/xmlrpc/jdbc/mysql architecture -- but no one has time to document it properly, at this point.

I'd have to ask our administrator to try again. What he did, however, was to compile and install GCJ3.3 on the server, and recompile the application. So, he was able to solve the problem. I can't ask him to try again, just to prove that some other alternative works as well.

> To completely static link an executable, you will also be linking
> libc/libm/libpthread into your application.  You really don't want to do
> that.

I guess you must be right. I'd love to see a complete list of these things though. What should we expect to be part of the linux "platform" and what is actually optional or application specific? Given the rapid development going on -- which is otherwise a good thing (tm) -- it is not always clear how we should define a linux system; even though I now understand that libc/libm/libpthread are part of it.

> Surely you're not claiming your Java application exercises the
> "whole language"?

Since there is no standard that says what we should understand under the "whole language", it is not clear to me what it should mean. For C/C++, we have at least the ISO standards that could be of use in guiding us in determining if this statement is valid.