Additional debugging tools for GCJ Win32

Øyvind Harboe oyvind.harboe@zylin.com
Fri May 23 17:49:00 GMT 2003

Here is an idea I thought I'd air.

There are Windows tools like BoundsChecker from NuMega that will verify
that there is no resource leakage, incorrect paramaters passed to the
os, etc.
This is not the only commerical one. I don't know of free ones, though I

haven't looked.

Basically you launch your app in the Microsoft Visual Studio debugger,
and once the .exe terminates, a report is made of all resources not
freed. BoundsChecker acts as an extension to the MS debugger.

BoundsChecker stores the stack trace for each allocation, such that
it can show where the memory that was never freed was allocated, etc.

Pretty nifty stuff.

Q: Could this be used for GCJ and GCC apps?

The biggest hurdle is usually to weed out noise, i.e. fix
leaks/violations
in GCC libraries that aren't causing any harm in real apps, but makes
such tools harder to use, due to all the false positives.

This came to mind after I hit the brick wall w.r.t. the javax.comm
crash(unknown if the bug is with  Sun or GCJ or neither).

Øyvind