Small example of livelock regression in garbage collector forGCJ 3.3 under W

Ranjit Mathew rmathew@hotmail.com
Fri May 23 08:11:00 GMT 2003

> So, the only libgcj that needs to be built is by the linux->mingw
> compiler, and that libgcj must be built with the correct libgcj.spec.
> Everything should work fine, modulo bugs in the configury.  I guess
> it's just a matter of trying it.

I tried this last night and as expected
"libjava/configure.host" is not touched if I give
"--disable-libgcj" while building the cross GCJ.

So there's no libgcj.spec created that contains
the necessary flags and hence the crossed-native
libgcj is built incorrectly.

Other than enabling the libgcj build for the
cross compiler, one can overcome this by either:

a. explicitly copying a libgcj.spec from, say,
    one of the crossed-native builds, into the cross
    GCJ's "lib" folder.

b. adding "-fcheck-references -fuse-divide-subroutine"
    to GCJCOMPILE in "libjava/Makefile.in" before
    building the crossed-native GCJ.

(and possibly many other ways).

I have alerted Mohan about this and he promised
to look into this issue while making his next
build.

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/