RMI Netwoek Overhead

Per Arneng pt99par@student.bth.se
Sat May 17 20:59:00 GMT 2003

Hi!

We are making a master thesis and in that we are comparing overhead sizes on
method calls
using RMI,RMI-IIOP, CORBA, DCOM and .Net Remoting. In our tests we have found
that RMI generates the second largest amount of network traffic after .NET
Remoting with SOAP on a single method call with a byte as parameter.
It uses almost  three times the amount as .NET Remoting in binary mode. Can
someone explain why it is like this.

API 	             Byte 	Int 	Long 	Double
RMI 	   	      852    855  859 	        859
RMI-IIOP 	437 	432 	444 	444
Remoting TCP 	299 	301 	306 	308
Remoting HTTP 	1722 	1717 	1722 	1732
CORBA 		497 	500 	504 	504
DCOM TCP
DCOM UDP

We have found that when sending primitive data type arrays as parameters the
network traffic is not
linear. Is there some optimization on primitive data type arrays in different
sizes?

Thanks in advance!  Im not on the mailing list so please reply to my mail
adress.

Best regards
   Per Arneng