A Quick GCJ 3.3/MingW Update

João Garcia jgarcia@uk2.net
Sat May 17 20:26:00 GMT 2003

Hi Mohan,

Obviously, I am *not* an expert on GPL...
As you managed to guess, I am only trying to solve your obvious
"bandwidth" problem.

I am also a "user", and it is less convenient for me to download 37 MB
when I already have those GCC sources for other purposes (it is also a
bad use of the Internet).

Mohan Embar wrote:

> Originally, due to my ignorance of the GPL, I was doing this because
> I wanted to avoid additional bandwidth charges by pointing to a known,
> stable mirror and simply providing patches. However, as Danny pointed
> out to me "known and stable" are very subjective and I now see that it
> make sense not to introduce this additional level of indirection.

You could have a local copy of the relevant GCC snapshot, that civilized
people would  download *only* if they could not get it from one of the
"stable" GCC mirrors (you could point to a list of mirrors).
Would this solve the GPL issue?

On the other hand, "on request" means that you don't have to put a
visible link to the sources in your Web page. People would have to email
you first. Then you would send the sources as an attachment (or you
could, optionally, email a "direct" link to the file on your Web
server). Is this correct?

João