.register pseudo-op (Was: PR 10656 and PR 10657)

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Wed May 7 15:29:00 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 23:10, Mark Mitchell wrote:
> We need a fix for these problems ASAP; otherwise, I'll be forced to
> disable Java by default on Solaris boxes in GCC 3.3, which would be a
> step backwards.

10656 is only a regression for unpatched versions of Solaris 2.7.  The
bug report is about using the .register pseudo-op in v8.S.  Sun has a
patch for Solaris to add .register support to their assembler, but
install.texi actually advises against using it (search for Sun patch
107058-01).

To be honest, I don't understand why .register is needed.  Is it safe to
omit if configure tells us that the assembler doesn't support it?
Anyone?

Thanks,

AG