gcj and jikes

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Tue May 6 19:15:00 GMT 2003

>> Maybe one added problem could be, that the compiler (at least within
>> eclipse) seems to work on a per method basis (which I consider one of
>> eclipses best features btw.). But since it's possible to export
>> classfiles from eclipse and import java it must be usable as a normal
>> compiler somehow.

Yes, Anthony has a Makefile for building this compiler with gcj.  The
end result is a command-line compiler he calls "ecj".  I've used this
(actually a variant that builds the compiler as a .so), with some ant
glue, to build Eclipse from source.  The command-line parsing code is
already in the Eclipse cvs tree.