gcj and jikes

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Tue May 6 17:39:00 GMT 2003

Per> On the other hand, I assume the Eclipse compiler is written in
Per> Java rather than in C or C++, which would be more difficult to
Per> use.

It is written in Java.  That leads to a bunch of bootstrapping
problems -- not impossible to solve, but definitely an added cost.
This was discussed at length in the libgcj-verifier-in-gcj thread.

The eclipse compiler is quite good though.  It is definitely worth
considering.  We'd face the same license difficulties (maybe more so,
since it has official IBM support, which Jikes no longer appears to).