NetworkInterface doesn't see new InetAddress after they've been updated

Tom Tromey tromey@redhat.com
Sun May 4 11:29:00 GMT 2003

Scott> I tried java.net.NetworkInterface.getByName() and
Scott> getInetAddresses(), only to discover that the interfaces and
Scott> addresses are cached (at least in the posix case), and
Scott> therefore don't reflect the changes the user has made (possibly
Scott> by enabling DHCP).

Scott> Looking at the J2SDK 1.4.0 Javadoc, I don't see any indication
Scott> of whether the caching is as-specified for this API.  In my
Scott> case, I'd be happier if it got a fresh set of IP addresses each
Scott> time it was called.

This seems reasonable to me.

Maybe Michael Koch could comment though.