SV: Adding another configuration feature to libjava for arm-elfmetal configurations

Andrew Haley aph@redhat.com
Thu May 1 17:34:00 GMT 2003

Anthony Green writes:
 > On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 07:28, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Javasoft do, with Java "profiles".  I can't imagine any reason why
 > > they can but we can't.
 >
 > Exactly for this reason...
 >
 > >  > One reason the library is so big is because the core classes are so
 > >  > "connected".  ie. ClassLoader requires networking requires
 > >  > internationalization etc (or something like that).
 > >
 > > That's true.  Presumably, making a profile involves disconnecting some
 > > classes such as internationalization.
 >
 > And ClassLoaders, Threads, floating-point, etc...  these aren't things
 > you can easily toggle on and off with our current implementation.  My
 > gut reaction is that these issues are best handled through a fork within
 > the libjava tree.  It seems like there's very little activity these days
 > in the classes that would form the intersection, so the maintenance
 > burden should not be too cumbersome.

Maybe a better idea than a fork would be some scripts that walk over
the sources making modifications.  We would then have some sort of
stylized comments that indicate where the exclusions are made.  It
would then be a drudge job to go over the sources adding the marks.

Andrew.