SV: Adding another configuration feature to libjava for arm-elfmetal configurations

Anthony Green green@redhat.com
Thu May 1 16:50:00 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-01 at 07:28, Andrew Haley wrote:
> Javasoft do, with Java "profiles".  I can't imagine any reason why
> they can but we can't.

Exactly for this reason...

>  > One reason the library is so big is because the core classes are so
>  > "connected".  ie. ClassLoader requires networking requires
>  > internationalization etc (or something like that).
>
> That's true.  Presumably, making a profile involves disconnecting some
> classes such as internationalization.

And ClassLoaders, Threads, floating-point, etc...  these aren't things
you can easily toggle on and off with our current implementation.  My
gut reaction is that these issues are best handled through a fork within
the libjava tree.  It seems like there's very little activity these days
in the classes that would form the intersection, so the maintenance
burden should not be too cumbersome.

AG